The Book of Job Study Club | Passage 4 |


So often when I struggle or face trials, I find myself wrestling on the inside, instead of outside, in prayer. Even when I have nothing to ask, when I struggle, I forget that I can go to Jesus in frustrated conversation and just share with him, HOW I am struggling.
This week, in Job, we took a look at Job's struggle after all of the loss.

Could you relate? Have you ever been so downtrodden that you just wanted to curse the day you were born?

Let's take a look at what that was for Job, and how it can be for us...


Where must Job have been at emotionally and physically to CURSE the day of his birth?

I can only imagine that he was completely crumbled and broken. Confused, tumultuous, exhausted and weary, pointless and abandoned...To loose so much in such a small amount of time - it exhausts me just thinking of it!!!

What is the general attitude behind his cry?

It's mourn-some more than anything else. It's not bitter, hateful, or angry...just mourn-some and abandoned.

Have you ever been at a place similar to Job? What was on the other side?

I can't say that I've been at a place where I want to curse my birthday, but I have definitely been in the midst of turmoil where I just wanted to crumple into a heap and vanish...

I find myself on the other side of that now and what I am seeing is God's faithfulness and beauty. The intimate ways that he was with me and knew me through the trials and struggles. It's so much more beautiful than I EVER could have imagined.

Vs. 23: Can you relate? What is a day that you have felt this?

Why is light given to a man whose way is hidden, whom God has hedged in?

I've totally felt like God was just teasing me with the light of some release before, only to be swept back into the murky undertow.

I think though, that if I didn't have a glimpse of light - it would have been much easier to throw in the towel and just say, "I'm done!" Without the light I would have had no hope and been utterly dejected.

Vs. 24-26: What are Biblical responses to these cries?

For my sighing comes instead of my bread, and my groanings are poured our like water. For the thing that I fear comes upon me, and what I dread befalls me. I am not at ease, nor am I quiet; I have no rest, but trouble comes.


  • We know that Jesus is the Bread of Life; he alone sustains our soul. -John 6:33
  • God keeps track of all of our sorrow, he holds our tears. -Psalm 56:8
  • We don't need to fear for God is our defender. -Isaiah 35:4
  • Jesus is our rest - we still have hardships, but he gives us rest. -Matthew 11:28-30

Struggles seem so unfair and unnecessary - it always seems like we should be able to do without them but in the end. The beauty of God shines through. He has shown me intimacy with him in incredible ways after I endured struggles (although I never endured very gracefully...) but I know him differently now.

What beauty has God shown you through your struggles?

Sign up for my newsletter to get next week's full passage, or join the Facebook group!
I'd love to hear what you learned, join the Facebook group and let us know!!!


No comments